Tuesday

Venus in Libra (in music)

The most famous Venus of all - Botticelli


A little physical attraction
Romantic, old-fashioned charm
And a lot of love and tenderness
Is gonna get you into her arms
(Shania Twain)

We now arrive at Venus in Libra, the second of the signs where Venus feels right at home. There's no sign more in tune with love and relationships than Libra. They live and breathe for relating, both in love and social relationships. Probably why Freddie Mercury (Sun in Virgo)wrote a song that goes: I was born to love you, with every single beat of my heart. Venus in Libra will probably be the most traditional image we have of Venus as a partner: romantic, devoted, well-mannered, seductive, attracted to beauty...
Besides, Libra is associated with the Arts and Music in particular, so I expected to find great songwriters with Venus in Libra (or other Libra emphasis).

Let's start by establishing that love comes first. Shania Twain (Virgo Sun) asks: Is there life after love? Freddie Mercury again sings Love is all you need; Katie Melua (Virgo Sun also) confesses: Nothing else excites me but loving you. Elvis Costello (Sun in Virgo) contributes: In all the world, there's only one true love and finding it's hard enough). F. Mercury again: Funny how love is everywhere just look and see, funny how love is anywhere you're bound to be, funny how love is every song in every key.

But we shouldn't forget that Libra is first and foremost an Air sign, so even if they do constantly think of love and relationships and are able to discuss them with seeming knowledge, their ideas are mostly theoretical because emotionally they are still as childlike and naive as the other Air signs. Also like the other Air signs, Libra is extremely idealistic; they're in constant search for Beauty and to them beauty is balance and harmony, hence the scales as the symbol for this sign. Katie Melua describes fascination: You're beautiful so silently, it lies beneath a shade of blue, It struck me so violently when I looked at you. They're not immune to a pretty face.

Libra dislikes extremes so they're usually stepping from one side of the scale to the other, trying to find the right equilibrium. You can do the maths: there isn't really an absolute degree of Perfection and Ideal in the real World and so reality and the less perfect aspects of it, in particular, may be avoided. Ben Harper (Sun in Scorpio) sings: Real life has let you down, Someone stripped the jewels from your crown.

Venus in Libra will never give up searching for the right partner or trying to make their relationships better and often they succeed in making whatever's around them more pleasant and beautiful because they're willing to compromise. They are extremely dedicated to their relationships. Shania Twain sings: It takes two hearts with one beat and it takes two to say I do; in another song she writes If it don't take two and if I'm not with you, no it ain't worth going through. Freddie Mercury recognizes the work that might need to be done: yes it's a hard life, two lovers together, to love and live forever in each others hearts, it's a long hard fight to learn to care for each other, to trust in one another...


As a Cardinal sign, Libra is prone to innitiating things and they do it especially in the sphere of relationships, they have an urge to relate and seek company, that is their biggest need (does can anybody find me somebody to love ring a bell?). And it's not hard for them to do so because they're particularly charming and pleasing to talk to. They are the kind that seems to always be considering you, your opinions, your needs, your wishes. Who doesn't love to be paid attention? It is a fact that Libra is the best sign on putting themselves on other people's shoes. Freddie Mercury sings: whenever you stroll along with me I'm merely contemplating what you feel inside (isn't that lovely?). They are very aware that other people have different views on things and this awareness may even become agonizing, as they need to understand everybody's take on something before they make a move (why they're often considered indecisive). This awareness combined with their dislike for extremes makes them cautious in taking a firm position. Hence Katie Melua's song Spider's Web: the piano keys are black and white but they sound like a million colours in your mind. She asks: How do I know which is right? Shania Twain also prefers to overlook the "labels": I'm not sayin' I have all the answers and I don't care who's right or wrong.

They'll ask for your opinion all the time because they're genuinely interested. Besides it also helps to get people on their side, with the ultimate goal of creating pleasant relationships and avoiding conflict. Some might think of them as hypocrites because they always tell you what you want to hear, but they do this to avoid unpleasantness - why focus on the bad things and not on the good ones? Fair play.

But what happens when things need to be discussed? Venus in Libra will always want to talk about "the relationship", for hours preferably (Elvis Costello writes: we can talk like we're in love or talk like we're above it, we can talk and talk until we talk ourselves out of it). Nevertheless their partners are allowed to ask themselves whether the other person is being emotionally honest. The truth is that in their censorship of the darker side of things, they might now allow themselves to feel things that to them are unacceptable (e.g. jealousy, insecurity, anger). Freddie Mercury laments: jealousy, you got me somehow, you gave me no warning, took me by surprise. They think that that's not what love is about; love is supposed to be conjugated with happiness, joy and fulfillment (in their ideal world), not negative emotions. In the real world, though, you won't find a love relationship that perfect, so Venus in Libra may be tempted to love on a platonic level, in the level of the gods where bad things won't occur. And ultimately, this emotional repression will harm them because emotions always find a way of getting through (they may become depressed or snap up when you least expect them to).


In the meantime, this plantonic-ness results in inumerous lyrics of romantic fantasy. Here's only a few: We were born to ride side by side, we are always reaching for the stars and they can still be ours (Katie Melua); We spent all our days holding hands together, do you remember my love? how we danced and played, in the rain we laid, wish that we could stay there forever and ever (Freddie Mercury); I give my hand to you with all my heart, can't wait to live my life with you, can't wait to start, you and I will never be apart, my dreams came true because of you (Shania Twain).



Venus in Libra is romantic to a point that can make you uncomfortable, to say the least. I was amazed at the amount of sugary-rose-coloured-marriage-vows-kind of lyrics that I found. Elvis Costello to start off: I'll watch out for you, I'll always be there, in the hour of distress you need not fear; Shania Twain is a champion in these sort of lyrics, which is no wonder: falling in love under starlight, I do swear that I'll always be there. I'd give anything and everything and I will always care. Through weakness and strength (...) But surprisingly Freddie Mercury isn't far behind: I can dim the lights and sing you songs full of sad things, we can do the tango just for two, I can serenade and gently play on your heart strings, be your valentino just for you. They also love to share everything with you (remember fairness comes first), as Mercury testified: Give a little love to me (I want it), take a little love from me, I want to share it with you.


Are you in a sugar coma yet? No? Good! Because notice also the abbundance of romantic symbols that are mentioned. Venus in Libra is thrilled by those rituals that symbolize love: vows, gestures, marriage. Shania Twain sings: I want bells to ring, a choir to sing, the white dress, the guests, the cake, the car, the whole darn thing. Even Freddie Mercury mentions I feel so romantic and underneath the moonlight, together we'll sail across the sea, shine on silvery moonlight. In another song he describes romanticism from a Libra point of view: Dining at the Ritz, we'll meet at nine precisely, I will pay the bill, you taste the wine, driving back in style, in my saloon will do quite nicely. He finishes it up by saying: there he goes again just like a good old-fashioned lover boy. Exactly.


Being more focused on others, they often don't value themselves as much. This can make them dependant of others and their positive appreciation, which might lead them to indulge in flirty behaviour, with very little real meaning. Elvis Costello is projecting that here: But you tease, and you flirt And you shine all the buttons on your green shirt. Watch out. They are terrified of being alone: Without you now I see how fragile the world can be/And when you went I became a hopeless drifter (Katie Melua); would surely die if you dismiss me from your love/ So please don't go, don't leave me here all by myself + My baby left me alone, she done me dirty and I'm feeling so lonely (Freddie Mercury); Without you, I'm not conversational...Without you, I miss talking in the dark (Elvis Costello); I don't want to live alone (Ben Harper).

In the end their challenge is to relate but accept the good and the bad sides of their reality and understand that the bad and ugly things have their place in the World too.

No comments: